We recently did a post on how to have gorgeous décor sans flowers, but really, most couples do opt for wedding flowers for their big day. Here’s a collection of some of the best advice we’ve read about wedding flowers:
Budgeting for wedding flowers
- When in doubt, ask The Knot. Short answer: about 8 percent of your total budget.
How to save money on wedding flowers
- 10 Moneysaving Tips from DIY Network (one suggestion – use lots of greens to fill out the vase)
- 17 Ideas for cheap wedding flowers and arrangements to help you save a fortune from Money Crashers (remember, some flowers are just simply cheaper than others)
- Luxe for Less from Colin Cowie has 13 tips on how to have gorgeous blooms at your wedding without spending a fortune or looking like you cut corners (e.g. don’t get your heart set on a specific bloom)
DIY wedding flowers advice
- Tips from A Practical Wedding for doing your wedding flowers yourself (including being aware that doing your own bouquets is a very different project than doing your own centerpieces!)
- Reasons not to DIY your wedding flowers from the Huffington Post (hint: a great deal on wholesale flowers is not a good enough reason to DIY)
- Where to Buy DIY Flowers – A list of online wholesale flower companies via DIY Bride.
Choosing your wedding flowers
- How to choose a bridal bouquet to match your personality. Yeah, the article is from TLC’s How Stuff Works, which we don’t normally think of as a top wedding planning reference, but this article does an excellent job laying out the basics of bridal bouquets.
- Wedding flower styles: Real Simple gives 20 tips for choosing flowers for your wedding, an introduction to different floral styles, and tips on how to talk about styles with your florist.
- Know your flowers – a guide from The Knot.
- What’s in season? A guide from A Saratoga Wedding.
Wedding flowers inspiration
- Bouquets around the country: Six florists from around the U.S. share their most popular bouquets. Via Huffington Post.
- 30 best bouquets: Better Homes and Gardens’ editors’ picks for best wedding bouquets.
- 41 Unexpected wedding flower ideas from The Knot – incorporate grapes, opt for hanging pomanders or have fun with topiaries.
- Wedding flowers inspiration by color from Hitched and The Knot
- Wedding flowers and bouquets inspiration by season from Real Simple and by month from Bridal Guide.
Steer clear of trouble
- 15 wedding flowers mistakes to avoid: Professional florists share their tips and experiences, via The Knot.
- More mistakes to avoid when choosing your wedding flowers, via the Huffington Post.
Do you have any advice of your own about wedding flowers? We would love to hear about your experience or solutions!